Mold requires a moist environment to grow. Any excess moisture in a home or office can lead to amplified mold growth. This moisture can come from water damage from flooding or leaking roofs and pipes. However, the moisture may not be from an obvious source. Improperly constructed building foundations can cause excess water vapor to seep through the floors of buildings. This can cause mold growth in carpets and in wall spaces where ventilation is poor.
Individuals with pre-existing allergies or respiratory conditions, are likely to be more sensitive to mold spores. Other individuals that may be sensitive include infants and young children, the elderly, and immune comprised patients (people with HIV, undergoing, chemotherapy, liver disease, etc.) Most people are exposed to mold daily with little or no reaction. Prolonged exposure, though, over a long period of time can make a person sensitive to molds when they previously did not have a reaction.
In most cases, mold related health problems go away after the mold is removed or after the occupants leave the impacted building. It is believed, though, that the affected individuals may have a greater sensitivity to molds in the future so that later it will take exposure to lower levels of mold spores for a shorter duration of time to develop the same problems.
The typical reaction to elevated levels of mold spores is an allergic reaction. This is similar to the seasonal allergies many people develop in the fall when outdoor mold levels are often high. The typical symptoms are sneezing, nasal and sinus congestion, irritation in the eyes, nose, and throat, and coughing. In sensitive individuals, more serious problems may develop such as: shortness of breath frequent headaches trouble concentrating mood changes nausea and dizziness stress fatigue asthma skin irritation
NO… Allergenic molds are normally not dangerous in low amounts, but they can cause allergenic or asthmatic symptoms such as wheezing or runny nose. These molds can be abaated safely in small amounts, with the assistance of gloves and a disposable particulate-removing respirator.
Remember, mold is everywhere in small doses, indoors and outdoors. But before fungi/mold colonize and become a potential hazard, four requirements must be met: Air, temperature, moisture and food source. Humidity and water leaks are the cause of most mold infestations.
Molds are microscopic organisms found virtually everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Molds are tiny, lightweight and easily detached by airflow, vacuuming or walking on carpet. Indoors they grow in air-conditioning ducts, carpets, potted plants, etc. They produce and release millions of spores, which are small enough to stay airborne while threatening to invade the human respiratory system. In large quantities, molds can cause allergic symptoms similar to those caused by plant pollen.
Molds also produce microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOC’s). In commercial and professional settings, exposure to mold has been said to decrease work production by 2-4 %.
A friendly tip from your friends, the Mold Drs!
Summertime is when all the kids are out and about having fun! And moms, you know what that means! Itchy poison ivy, harsh sunburns, muddy feet, bee stings…yeah, it can get lil’ chaotic. Take precautions to keep your love ones healthy this summer so they can have fun all season long!
Schedule TODAY to see the house you have always been looking for!
This 2012 premium-edition home has $25,000 in recently installed custom upgrades! It is very well maintained and in like new condition. Stainless appliances, granite with over-sized island for entertaining. Pool and dog park coming soon to development. There’s also a cozy bonus room upstairs!
For more information, go to:
Do you know what’s in your walls?
It could be anything! In this humid Tennessee weather, mold can harbor anywhere! Especially in dark, damp, enclosed spaces this pesky fungi can harbor and reproduce to the thousands. You won’t be able to see it, so how will you know it’s growing? Call us at Mold Drs. today and have us come to your home and assess what may be lurking behind YOUR walls.